Monday, August 25, 2008

So my flight, which was scheduled to leave at 9:30, ended up taking off at 11:15. Typical Northwest. I slept a lot, but I was still exhausted by the time to got into CDG. I hauled my luggage across the airport, which believe me was quite the feat, in order to get to the Sheraton. I checked in around 1:30pm France time, but my body still thought it was 7:30am. I took a nap from about 2:30-4pm, then exchanged money in the airport. $255USD became €125. Not the best feeling. I took a bath AND a shower. I tried to go to bed at 10pm, but of course didn't fall asleep until midnight, when my body thought it was 6pm.

At 4am France time (are you confused yet?) an alarm went off in the hotel! Just fyi, if there is ever a real hotel fire, I will probably die. I couldn't figure out what was going on, then I couldn't find anything so I stumbled over to the lightswitch, turned on the lights, got my purse, glasses, room key and a teeshirt (because I was wearing a nightgown) and THEN left my room. When I got out into the hallway there were a few people yelling, "No problem! No problem!" Not wanting to accidentally die a fiery death, I called down to the front desk and was informed that in fact there was NOT a fire, and someone would take care of it. The alarm stopped after a few minutes, but my body was pissed, thinking I had napped from 6pm-10pm. I eventually fell back asleep, but my 8am wakeup call was not exactly enjoyable. When I checked out the man in reception comped my internet though, so that's good.

I left my room at 9am, left the hotel by 9:15 and made it into CEA by 10:15, which was early- I was supposed to be there at 11. They tossed me into a mini-orientation with the next group coming from the airport, but there wasn't any room in their shuttle, so I had to take a taxi from CEA (which I'm assured I will be reimbursed for).

No one was at the apartment when I got here around noon. My room has pretty much NO storage. There is once tiny built-in "closet" that isn't deep enough to hold anything on a hanger, and only has one shelf that's about 6inches deep and 2feet wide. Jennifer was kind enough to share her wardrobe with me, so luckily I do have a space to hang my dresses. It's kind of annoying though, because the other bedroom has 3x the storage we do. I think our room is bigger, though.

After unpacking a bit Jennifer and I went to the grocery store. Apparently she is a clean freak, so she had to buy bleach and disinfectant spray. I had to get deodorant, because even though I had 2 sticks at home, neither of them made it into my bag. Spray deodorant isn't my first choice, but I guess it'll do for now.

Later there is a CEA "welcome cocktail" back at school, which I think Jennifer and I are going to, hopefully we'll meet Lia and Vicky there. We need to go to Monoprix sometime, too, because Jennifer doesn't have sheets and I would like to buy a pillow. My pillow is crappy, and if I'm going to be here for 4 months I feel like a pillow is worth investing in.

No comments: