Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Fine, Amelia!

So my pesky sister has inquired about my classes, and boy did she pick a good day.

Yesterday I had my first classes: Gay Paris and Intermediate French I. I am so excited for Gay Paris. The instructor seems really excited, too, which I see as a great sign. on Monday we kind of just went over the syllabus (which is why there is little to say, Amelia) but tomorrow we're doing an excursion in Le Marais. Le Marais is the traditionally gay (and Jewish!) area in Paris, and coincidentally is also where CEA Global Campus is.

French was terrifying. I'm already relatively immersed from living here, but to be back in an academic setting where someone is speaking exclusively French and I'm actyally expected to understand??? Sort of overwhelming. Hopefully I'll be more comfortable after a few more classes.

Today I had Writer's Workshop: Expatriate Lit. Well. I hauled my lazy little butt all the way out to Le Marais-- a 45 minute commute-- only to be told that the class was canceled. Not only did I not have class today, but it's rescheduled for Friday. Friday! I don't even have classes on Friday! Oh well.

Since I was already out there, I wandered around, shopped a little (at American Apparel, hilariously enough), and took a few pictures of the neighborhood around school. On my way home I got off at the Lamarck metro stop and went grocery shopping at Champion, a larger chain that's just groceries-- less confusing than Monoprix. I bought a couple little pizzas, some Orangina (mmmm), pasta, and chicken flavored potato chips. In actuality I would describe them more as gravy flavored chips, but I'm not complaining.

Tomorrow I have French and Gay Paris again, then Thursday is my first day of Wine class! Friday is the rescheduled writing class, and then after that I think I may go to the Jeu de Paume, which is having a Richard Avedon exhibit. Friday night there is a Seine river cruise for CEA that I plan on going to. I'll have to write about that later, since I still need to update on Sunday, when the roomies and I went to Sacre Coeur for Lia's birthday. I'm waiting to steal some pictures from Jennifer still, though.

I do have neighborhood pictures though! Only a few pictures near both school and home.

The nearest metro stop to us is Lamarck-Coulaincourt


Unfortunately for my lazy self, the Lamarck stop looks like this on the outside:

See the little red Metro sign peeking out behind all those steps? ALL those steps? To go to school??? Yeah right.

So instead I walk about 2 blocks farther but NOT uphill, to Jules Jofferin:

The metro is across the street and behind the bus, but you get the idea.

CEA's Global Campus is on a tiny little street off of Rue du Temple

We're a stone's throw from the Jewish Museum.

Normally I would take the metro stop at Les Halles, which I would walk past Georges Pompidou and (duh) Les Halles for, but I wanted to go to American Apparel so instead I walked toward the Hotel de Ville


And the also notable BHV, a huge department store next to Hotel de Ville. Not gonna lie, I could shop myself to death in there. I've already been twice (don't worry, all I've bought so far was a can of dry shampoo)


I probably won't update again until the weekend, but until then you can check out my Flickr for bigger pictures of everything (and my Sacre Coeur pictures are actually up there, and they kind of speak for themselves!)

No comments: