Saturday, November 29, 2008

Twins Take on Paris (Saturday and Sunday)

So the twins got in on Saturday at 6:30am. They came straight to my apartment and we all slept until like 11, since they hadn't slept at all on the plane. When we woke up, I had bought my fave microwave fondue, so I ran down to the corner and grabbed a baguette and we had some cheese fondue and caught up at my apartment.

Since we were in the neighborhood, we headed up to Sacre Coeur. I couldn't remember whether or not I had actually been in the basilica, so we checked that out and then sat outside for a bit before heading back through Montmartre.

Next we headed down to Pigalle, which is like the Red Light District of Paris. No prostitution (legally, at least) but lots of sex shops, sex shows, and of course the Moulin Rouge. Here is the only picture I took that day:


The Sexodrome decorated for Christmas! Everyone is feeling the holiday spirit! The twins took more pictures. I say this collectively, because while it was Amelia's camera, I think Hayley took the most pictures. When they go up I'll be sure to share.

Then we headed back to the apartment, where we tried to meet up with my friend Melanie, and her friend Megan who was visiting from Barcelona. Megan wanted to buy some tea, and I have a really nice tea shop between my metro and my house, so I sent them there. An hour later they called us back, they had been in the shop the whole time! So at this point they were about a 5 minute walk from my house, and I went to wait outside to let them in (I have 2 door codes and a key to get in, very safe!). I waited for about 10 minutes, then realized they should have been there. I went back in to get my phone, and the twins said Melanie had called and she was lost. My phone can't call out, so I had to wait for her to call AGAIN so she could get to my house! My neighborhood is confusing.

Anyway, eventually they came over, we hung out for a bit, the twins met my roommate Jennifer, and then we went to the hotel. The hotel was really nice! I mean, not REALLY nice, but considering I had only stayed in 2-star hotels in Paris and this was a 3-star, I was pretty impressed. There was one big bed, and two small beds. I will NOT call them twin beds, because they were waaaaay thinner than a twin. Seriously, if I was laying on my back and tried to roll onto my side, I had to be careful not to roll out of bed.

So we left Amelia in the hotel because she was exhausted, and Hayley and I went to try and find Pizza Hut. Ridiculous? Yes. But we love Pizza Hut, so we looked it up on their website and walked to the closest one listed. It was WEIRD AS HELL and it looked like it was only for pick up and delivery, like no one would take our order. So on the twins first night in Paris we had McDonalds in the hotel. I do not regret it.

The next day we slept in because the twins were jet lagged, and because I am lazy. We left the hotel around 11 and walked down rue de Rivoli toward Angelina's. We walked through the courtyard of the Louvre (again, they have the pictures) and then headed back toward rue de Rivoli and got what we were looking for:


Chocolat chaud, yeeeeah! Amelia doesn't do chocolate (I know, right???) so she had a hot vanilla thing that tasted like melted, hot whipped cream aka delicious.
Also we got food:

Hayley had a club sandwich

I went for the quiche Lorraine
And we were in our own little room, so it wasn't even ridiculously embarrassing to take pictures!


The we decided to cut through the Tuileries to get to the Musee d'Orsay, which in all of my trips to Paris I had NEVER been to! But it was freezing rain, and horribly cold, so we tried not to look too miserable.

SEE THE FERRIS WHEEL??? It's at Place de la Concorde. There are TONS of pictures of it in my slideshow because I'm obsessssssed. Oh yeah, and Amelia is in that picture too.

Then we waited in a really long line in the cold and rain to finally get into the museum


Saw some art



Saw the ferris wheel again!


Saw a room we want:



Then we went to the Orangerie (the one that my roommate Lia won tickets to once, but I found out I can get in for FREE!)

THEN I FINALLY GOT TO GO ON THE FERRIS WHEEL

I was THIS excited:


Don't ask my why Hayley's chin is in the air


yeeeah, we kind of picked a bad day. And by we I mean I. But I just couldn't wait!

Then Hayley ate a hot dog.


Then we went back to the hotel and found Pizza Hut. I'm not even kidding, and again I do not regret it. It was delicious.
And that was then end of the first weekend.

No comments: