Friday, December 12, 2008

Farewell Dinner

Last weekend my program held their Farewell Dinner. It was actually like 2 weeks before the end of the program, but in hindsight I'm glad, since it leaves my last weekend free to do what I want.

We met up at Madeleine church for a group picture beforehand

Can you find me? Probably not. Hint: I am behind my friend Sam, who is one of the few males in the program.

Dinner itself was... interesting. I feel bad that I didn't enjoy it, because it was planned by one of my favorite members of the staff at CEA. But really? It was at a Tahitian themed restaurant. They gave us one drink (compared to the bottomless wine I had at my farewell dinner in Maastricht, but I guess that's just CEA policy) and then came the real issue: a performance. Maybe with more wine I could have gotten outside of my own head enough to enjoy it. It was just weird cultural exploitation and I really didn't have a good time. I think if it had been over-the-top FRENCH stereotypes it would have been funny, since we're studying in France, but as it was I didn't like it. It probably didn't help that I was sick and miserable, though.

The food was good, though


A meli-melo of shrimp, fruit and vegetables served in a coconut shell


Beef stir-fry, basically


A warm chocolate cake that we're pretty sure was bought from the grocery store and then heated at the restaurant


An interesting mis of Christmas decorations and tacky "Tahitian" decor


One of the guys in our program getting a "lap dance"


The emcee for the evening sexually harassing my friend Joanne (for those who speak French, he definitely told her to stick out her "pamplemousses")


The girls in our program wearing the "Tahitian" costumes.

If you're interested in seeing more pictures from the night, you can check out the Facebook album

No comments: