Saturday, December 6, 2008

Thanksgiving!

Forgive me for getting so behind, I'm swamped with school work AND getting sick, ugh! ANYWAY, I'll pick up back on Thursday the 27th (my aunt Meg's birthday!)

I had an excursion with my Wine class. Our professor is Irish, and as such was completely indifferent to the American holiday. I had thought that my class was meeting at 2 o'clock, then I thought I would check my syllabus really quick just to double check. My syllabus said 1 o'clock, and by the time I saw that I only had 10 minutes to get ready to leave for the day! So I rushed to get ready and made it to the wine expo right around 1pm, only to find that... no one else was there. It really was 2pm. So I waited around outside the expo until 2, when other classmates started to show up. As soon as my partner got there we went in.



It was NUTS! There were sooo many booths of independent winemakers and my partner and I were supposed to be tasting and interviewing vintners from Bordeaux. It's a rough life, I tell ya. So we tasted a bunch of wine, chatted with some Frenchies, and I bought a pate sandwich. One of the women heard that my partner, Molly, was from Georgia. Apparently her son lives in Georgia and is a real estate agent. Molly left with a business card with his picture on it. It was great. I bought a bottle of wine and the people at that booth took down my home address, "in case we get a distributor in Michigan." It was a lot of fun.

Around 4pm, Melanie and I met up at the front of the expo and we made our way over to the 7th arrondissement, where family friends had invited us to have Thanksgiving dinner!

Dave and Deb have an amaaazing apartment by the Eiffel Tower. They had another girl there, Cassandra, who is an au pair from Oklahoma. It was nice to spend the evening with Americans, even though all of my time here is spent with Americans. And they had TV, so we could put on the football game! Deb made an incredible Thanksgiving dinner and added the perfect French touch-- a cheese course. Just what American Thanksgiving had been missing! She made a really great fig-proscuitto-marscapone starter too, and a soup course that was turnip and pumpikn, mmmmm. After dinner we walked over to the Eiffel Tower to take pictures, since the twins hadn't been to see it up-close yet.

And I totally lucked out, because our hosts were leaving town the next day which meant they sent me home with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie! I had Thanksgiving for like a week! Thanks so much for having us, and happy birthday Deb!

No comments: