Thursday, October 30, 2008

Champagne

So I got my camera back, but Flickr is being finicky today. For some reason my photos just don't seem to want to upload! It wasn't working on Facebook, either. I blame slow internet.

Anyway, last Friday I spent the day in Reims. We had a tour with our class of the cellars at G. H. Mumms, then finished with a tasting. They let us taste their normal champagne, and a glass of their 1999 vintage. Both were delicious, obviously. It was very funny to visit Mumm's after being at the Loire Valley Chateau Nitray, though. Mumm clearly is running this huge operation, mass producing champagne and making a big spectacle out of their cellar tours. Very different from the much smaller scale of production at Nitray.


With an old barrel

My first glass

NASCAR in France? Who knew? Impressed, Dad?

Probably should have used the red-eye correction I have on this one, but I didn't.

Tasting!



The tour finished up around noon, and we didn't have to leave Reims until 5:30, so we went and had lunch (croque madame, obv) and then wandered over to Notre Dame de Reims, a very famous, very beautiful cathedral. It's where the French kings were crowned!


Saw the Chagall stained glass window

And then we were stuck spending the rest of the day in Reims. I probably could have left by like 2, but we didn't leave until 6. So all in all I see no need to go back to Reims, but I did have fun.


And the slideshow:

No comments: