Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Degustational update:

This post is sort of non-linear. I'll pretend it's a literary tool that I'm intentionally using, rather than admitting that I just really wanted to get the Versailles blog written as soon as it happened.

Saturday night Lia and I were sort of staying in, while Jennifer was in Amsterdam and Vicky went out with some guy from her French class. Lia and I have both been horribly afflicted with an inexplicable chocolate craving. At home I constantly crave salty foods, here it's mainly chocolate (and frites mmmm). Anyway, Lia and I decided that rather than sitting around doing nothing on a Saturday night, we would have a date!

We both drank some wine (my Bordeaux from Lavinia was suuuuper dry) and then walked down to a little cafe by our metro stop. We had noticed that this certain cafe always seemed to have people at it, no matter the time of day, and figured that was a good sign.

We made an EXCELLENT decision. My mom had reminded me earlier that I needed to eat profiteroles in Paris, so ordered a glass of rose and profiteroles. The waiter wasn't happy with my pronunciation and made sure to correct me when ordering. Then, when he presented the dessert he pointed at the plate and said, "Comment dit?" and made me repeat the proper French pronunciation.

I couldn't be mad though, because really:

OH
MY
GOD
If you don't know or can't tell, profiteroles are cream puffs. These happened to be served with a hot chocolate sauce, a giant pile of whipped cream, and sliced almonds.

I could drink that sauce. It was SO GOOD. So was the wine. Lia and I plan on checking out as many local restaurants for dessert as possible from now.

Aaaaand then on Monday I had gelato AGAIN. I wish I had my camera, you guys. I went back to the gelato place by school that does the rose shape, only this time I got tiramisu and dark chocolate. The inner part was tiramisu and then there were dark chocolate "petals" on the outside, it was beautiful. Also delicious.

No comments: