Monday, October 13, 2008

Fête des Vendanges Part1: Parade


So this weekend was the Montmartre wine festival. The only vineyard in the city of Paris is in Montmartre, which also happens to be my neighborhood. The theme of this years festival was Montmartre in cinema, and there were events like concerts, film screenings and art exhibitions. I only saw one art exhibit, but more importantly I saw the parade, the fireworks, and the tents!

Melanie and I planned to hit up the festival together, and since she lives across town it made sense for her to bring a bag and spend the night. So we planned for her to call me when she was transferring trains so I could meet her at the metro station, then we would walk back to my apartment to drop off her bag and head to Sacre Coeur.

Melanie called me around 4pm. I walked over toward the station and listened to my iPod while I waited for her. All of a sudden I could hear crazy drums and people were running up the stairs past the station, so obviously I followed and found these guys:

A child drum line! So cute

So I ran back and met Melanie and we managed to catch the entire parade. Let me tell you a few things about this parade: first of all, it wasn't like a parade with floats or balloons or anything. There was one car, three creepy giant puppet things, several bands, and then weird groups of people dressed in funny clothes.


They don't close the streets, either. Notice how French people just jump into the street to take pictures of the parade. There are also cars still parked on the street.


What is that?!?! No really, WHAT IS THAT!?! So creepy! There were, I think, 4 of these people, but the others looked like normal humans.


These people were also terrifying. They had painted their faces black underneath the masks so they didn't even look human.


Like I said, no barricades. French people just hop into the street to take pictures


Bodeaux, what up! Check out the angsty preteen in the middle.




Apparently this lady got tired. I can't blame her, since the entire parade route is uphill leading to Butte Montmartre. So she relaxed while this went on:




As I was saying earlier, they don't close the street. So these two women presumably were parked on the road and had to get out. They looked so embarrassed to be driving through the parade and were laughing and covering their faces while people took pictures of them. I snapped this picture while I was walking across the street. During the parade.


Adorable family from the wine museum


Reppin' champage with a giant bottle


Jimmy was there


One of two motor vehicles in the entire parade


I think I could play that weird crank instrument. Now you all know what to get me for Christmas, okay?


Smoking a cigar in the parade, loving life


Crazy hats and outfits


Wooden clogs are not practical for an uphill parade


Hat on the ground, smoking and texting. Awesome.


Cutest little French girls everrrrr


Ummmm, what?


I asked Melanie to take a picture of me with the parade and as she was taking it this tiny woman turned around resulting in the BEST PICTURE OF MY ENTIRE LIFE. I was wearing flats here, by the way.


The final group was really weird


And then I saw this guy! In his Michigan shirt!

I'm breaking this entry up, so the fireworks and tents will be a new entry. But here is the slideshow with all of the pictures (I think there are 80 on Flickr, I took over a hundred!)

No comments: