Thursday, October 16, 2008

l'As du Fallafel

I'm updating about today! The same night! Man, I'm efficient.

So Melanie is going to London this weekend and she had to be at the train station at 5:45. We get out of wine at 4, so we didn't really have time for a museum or anything, so instead we checked out rue des Rosiers in the Marais. It's right by school and packed with Jewish bakeries, and is also home to the famous l'As du Fallafel, hailed as the best fallafel in Paris.




Okay so it doesn't look great, but it tasted pretty good.

The New York Times website ran their 36 Hours travel segment on Paris! Apparently it's going to be in the paper on the 19th, but popped up today while I was trying to read A Brief History of Wine. The wine midterm was brutal, by the way, but actually not as bad as I had thought it would be.

ANYWAY, their 36 Hours in Paris piece is based entirely in the Marais, which as I mentioned is where my school is! Super convenient. They recommend the fallafel shop across the street from l'As, Mi-Va-Mi. Today there was no line at l'As, probably because it was 4pm and no one eats fallafel at that time, but next time I may have to check out Mi-Va-Mi. You know how I feel about lines.

We stuffed our faces in a public park and exchanged French-Hebrew babytalk with a toddler. French moms are apparently far more laid-back than Americans, this kid talked to us for a good 5 minutes and tried to get Melanie to feed her and we couldn't even tell who her mom was. Another kid made a run for it and probably would have taken off if she could have opened the gate. Some poor pregnant woman ended up chasing her down and carrying her over to her mom, who appeared to be chatting with friends.

Anyway, even after eating a ton of fallafel, there was still something missing from our day. After reading the NYTimes piece I wanted fallafel, but Melanie and I had been planning all week to get gelato after the wine midterm, and that craving needed to be satisfied.


BAM! Chocolate and biscotti, mmmmmmmm.

My roommate Lia won tickets to the Orangerie museum but can't use them because she has class at that time, which means I have a free ticket for the Orangerie tomorrow! Jealous, Mom? I know.

And Saturday and Sunday I'll be in the Loire Valley with CEA. We're spending the night in a chateau, which could be cool. So as usual, expect a massive update on Monday, but Thursday got done ahead of time! Go me!

No comments: