Monday, October 6, 2008

The French really like Americans

Especially Dubya



So as everyone knows, the Vice Presidential debates were last Thursday at 9pm. Unfortunately for us, we don't have a TV, let alone a TV with cable news to watch the debate. So what did we do?

Lia and I went to a debate meet up at a bar in the first! The Young Republicans and Young Democrats have been hosting debate watching parties and we went to our first one on Thursday night. Except because of the whole time-difference thing, it was really Friday morning. 6 hours. Do the math. I'll give you a minute. Yeah, that's right, the debate started at 3am Paris time.

So Lia and I called a cab (and by that I mean Lia called a cab, and thank God because I don't think I could handle doing it in French) and got picked up at 2:15 to go to Carr's near the Tuileries.

It was really cool, but also pretty weird. We haven't been hanging out with Americans when we go out, only at school. So when you walk into a bar where everyone is speaking English and you can just strike up conversations with people, the culture shock sets right back in.

They had two large screens projecting in two rooms, and two smaller TVs behind those, which is where the sound was coming from. We had to keep quiet, and the bar owner actually muted the TV and yelled at us when people were cheering, since it was like 4am in the center of Paris.




It was a fun experience, but I don't know if I'll do it again for the next debates. We didn't get home until 5:30 and I have to say that waking up the next day (for tree climbing!) was pretty brutal.

We did get an invite from the Young Dems to an election night party that I really want to go to, though. It starts at midnight and will probably run pretty late (since concession speeches probably won't happen until like 4am our time, ack!), especially since it's a Tuesday night and I have class on 10:30am Wednesdays, but I really really want to go. Plus they claim they're have bagels and cream cheese! Who could say no to that?

No comments: