Sunday, October 26, 2008

Loire Valley 2

Okay I officially suck at this. It's a week later, I have a rough draft of an essay due tomorrow, and I still haven't finished my Loire update. Oops. So here comes procrastination at it's finest: I just typed up a bunch of quotes for my Nightwood essay, but instead of trying to actually work on the draft I'm updating my blog. Okay so I am also doing research, but the actual writing of the essay is kind of a struggle right now.

ANYWAY, Loire Valley. Sunday.

We went to a wine tasting at Chateau Nitray

We took a group shot

That picture is clickable, so you can actually see the people in it.

We saw the pigeon house

apparently pigeons were a sign of wealth. Who knew? PS that ladder thing the guy is on? Yeah, it totally spins. Sweet.

Saw some wine making stuff

Basket press, tour guide, creepy mannequin thing


Lia and I took a picture on top of the arch


Aaaand I bought three bottles of wine. I bought two bottles of a sweet white that we tasted, one for when the twins visit and one to bring home, and a bottle of Brut that I didn't taste, but it was cheap and I liked all the other wines I tasted there so whatevs.

The last chateau was Chambord, which was amazing. I didn't get any pictures from the front (who knows why) so I had to steal one:

INSANE

Double helix staircase: two spiral staircases intertwined


Looking up through the center of the double helix staircase (there was obviously a crazy bright light at the top)

Looking down the center of the staircase


Exterior spiral staircases


Old school deerblind? Inside the chateau? I mean, it was a hunting lodge...


This entire room was covered in antlers, it was amazing


To give an idea of scale, here is my friend Kiersten in front of one of the walls. The rooms were huuuge


So I didn't get a legit photo of the front of the chateau, but I did get a picture in front of this weird cutout thing



Crazy details


Yet another thing we should implement at Fife Lake: trophy gallery. Ridiculous.

And as usual, here is the slideshow and the Flickr link

No comments: